The cushion that sends little ones to dreamland.
The brainchild of Esther Nieder-Heitmann and Jenny Spiro will have you wondering what you did before you knew about it. So good a solution to getting babies to sleep better, that some hospitals in South Africa have used the cushion to assist in the ICU with resting premature babies. As part of Esther’s Occupational Therapy Master’s Thesis, The Developmental Care of the Neonate (the new born baby that has all kinds of baby clothes) Esther and Jenny conceptualised the NurtureOne Nesting Cushion. We asked Jenny what makes the cushion your answer to sleepless rest times.
A sleep solution backed by research.
Jenny explains why the NurtureOne Nesting Cushion works so well.
- The cushion mimics a womb-like environment by providing boundaries but allows movement. In other words the baby is able to bring his or her hands to the midline for self-soothing. Movement is also important for muscle development.
- It allows seamless transitions, movement between cot-bed-arms becomes thus less disturbing to your baby, providing a constant sleep environment.
- Sleep association: Sleep becomes a good experience. The feel and smell of the cushion become associated with sleep time and it gets easier for baby to sleep, wherever they may be.
- It is made using sleep-safe materials – an inner layer of cotton and an outer layer of cotton lycra. These raw materials were tested and found to have no health risks.
- It is easy to care for: cushions are fully machine washable, just place it into a pillowcase and add to any laundry load using liquid detergent. You can also tumble dry it on a low heat.
Beyond the Nesting Cushion.
Jenny provided us with some useful information for when your child has outgrown the largest size (No.3 or 4) NurtureOne Nesting Cushion and must transition from their beloved sleeping spot to another resting place.
- She suggests doing this around 8 months, but it depends on your baby.
- Start eliminating the cushion from morning rest periods, then move on to afternoon and then finally night time routines. Eventually baby will happily be sleeping in his/her cot without the cushion.
NurtureOne works with an organisation called Atlantic Hope, a place that provides a safe home for abandoned babies who are awaiting adoption. These newborns love their NurtureOne Nesting Cushions so if your baby has outgrown theirs you can return it to Granny Goose and we will wash it and deliver it for you to Atlantic Hope.
True stories from the sleep force.
Jenny shared some stories that she has received from very happy NurtureOne customers. Sleep junkie asked nearly 2000 people about sleep in a study and the following results are in.
A mom confessed that on her first try with the NurtureOne Nesting Cushion her baby slept for 7 hours straight. It was a first for mom and child.
A midwife told her that she replaced some heavy medication that a baby was prescribed with a NurtureOne nesting cushion to promote better sleep, and it worked!
Expert sleep secrets.
Jenny passed on some expert advice for moms, dads, family and anyone else who is responsible for treasured tots sleeping better.
As a new parent, getting sleep while your little one sleeps is important, especially when they take their afternoon nap. Make it a rule and get the support of your loved ones to make this happen.
Bedtime stories are fun for parents and babies. Reading stories to your small child can be a soothing experience for them. My favourite is “Goodnight Moon” by Margaret Wise Brown.
Sold on the idea of sleep for both baby and you? Head here to get your NurtureOne nesting cushion.